Saturday 23 March 2013

Here We Go Then


So, it's official - the most important date in Scottish history will be the 18th of September, 2014. (Just edging ahead of the 5th of March 1962, when these guys were born!)

I have been a keen observer of politics in Scotland for a long time, starting back in my 'Modern Studies' classes at secondary school over twenty years ago, on through my Political Science degree and right up the present where I devour the output of numerous political blogs and news sources.

But during the coverage of the First Minister's announcement on Thursday it struck me that that is all I have ever done - observe. Okay, I've voted, obviously, but I've never joined a political party, been on a demonstration or even handed out a leaflet in my life. And as I saw the date of the Independence Referendum finally revealed, I thought to myself that I couldn't let this pass by in the same way. I couldn't look back on the 19th September 2014, regardless of the result, and think 'I could have done more'.

So, I've decided to get off my bahookie and get involved. And over the next 543 days, I hope to keep track of my activities and comment on some of the issues here.

No comments:

Post a Comment